Fox News Reaches Across Party Lines
Is Fox News “an arm of the Republican Party” as White House Communications Director Anita Dunn says?
Democratic and independent voters beg to differ. A national survey conducted for the League of American Voters by the Global Marketing Research Center during last week shows that 46 percent of those who watch Fox News “just about every day” are Democrats or independents as are 50 percent of those who watch it “several times each week” or more.
Overall, the survey showed that 21 percent of all American voters watched Fox News every day and 18 percent watched it several times each week. So, combined, 39 percent watched the station several times each week or more.
• Among Democrats, 17 percent watched it several times each week or more
• Among Independents, 46 percent watched the station several times each week or more
• And among Republicans, 55 percent watched it several times each week or more
The survey indicated that 11 percent of all American voters watched CNN “just about every day” and 20 percent watched several times each week or more.
Combined, 31 percent watched CNN several times each week or more.
For MSNBC, the totals were 10 percent watched just about every day and 8 percent watched several times each week. Combined, 18 percent watched MSNBC several times each week or more.
These data, seen against the backdrop of the recent storm of White House criticism, casts the administration attacks on Fox News in a different perspective. Could it be that the Obama Administration is concerned about Fox News not because it is “an arm of the Republican Party” but because it is so widely seen among Democrats and Independents?
That the two top spokespeople for the administration this Sunday (Emanuel and Axelrod) both chose to attack Fox News shows how obsessed this thin-skinned president is with his coverage. It is truly amateur hour at the White House from the top down.
The phone survey was taken from a statistically valid national sample of 800 registered voters. Some 36 percent of the respondents said they voted for more Democrats than Republicans while 32 percent said they voted for more Republicans. 24 percent said they voted equally for each party.
© 2009 Dick Morris & Eileen McGann