Watch Glenn Beck weekdays at 5p & 2a ET on Fox News Channel
The opposition to the health care bill leading up to the vote was well documented. Almost three quarters of Americans opposed the bill in its final form. America got it anyway. We were spanked for opposing it. But how about since it's passed? Are people just ready to move on?
A new poll from CBS shows that 62 percent of Americans want the GOP to continue fighting this legislation. And that's not just those angry Republicans: 41 percent of Democrats polled want the GOP to continue fighting the bill. Looks like decent bipartisan support against it.
If you are the president, this is not the debate you want the country having right now. He needs people to move on and quickly forget that he just slapped America around to get his Marxist dream bill shoved through.
So, what's the strategy to get the talk onto anything else other than the bill? It's time to use the tried and true method: "hate speech."
Yes, if you can't win the argument, you stop the argument. It's what the left resorts to time after time. They do it with talk radio and the Fairness Doctrine. An opposing voice? Let's stomp them out. If you're against amnesty? You just hate people who look different than you. Hate speech. Against health care? You hate poor people. Hate speech.
This is how they are attempting to silence the Tea Partiers — they are just so hateful, they are going to get violent. During the Tea Parties, liberals in the media were trembling with fear and shaking in their boots. And they were right — see how scary they look? Oh, the horror! Parents, cover your children's eyes.
Of course, no actual violence ever actually happened at any of the Tea Party rallies. But that didn't stop Nancy Pelosi from crying about the possibility
If she was really worried about the threat of violence, why did Pelosi grab a giant gavel and walk into a sea of protesters? Did the Secret Service recommend that's not a good idea? Did anyone warn the speaker that she was inciting these people?
Again: Nothing has happened. Could it? Of course — there are crazies in all walks of life. But no one can objectively look at the 100 percent peace ratio from the Tea Parties and be fearful of them.
But look at the story line that's now being presented in the media and from elected representatives:
• CNN devoted a large portion of their programming Wednesday to congressmen under threat
• MSNBC is running loops of Democratic headquarters that had windows broken in — implying that Republicans are doing it, even though no arrests have been made
• Chris Matthews accused Republicans of "criminal" incitement, saying Bart Stupak is getting threats. Did Chris Matthews care about Bart Stupak and his family when he was being intimidated by the left because he opposed the health care bill? I don't recall hearing anything about that. But, like the rest of America, I don't watch his show, so maybe I'm wrong about that
• People are crawling out of the woodwork to call me dangerous. James Cameron called me that; Cokie Roberts called me a terrorist and a traitor to the country
• Sarah Palin is being called out for "inciting" people. The evidence? Oh, it's damming. Look at this scary map from her Facebook post. See those targets? That couldn't possibly mean politicians to vote out of office? No, she wants you to shoot them all. Really? Wait, I just realized something: There's an entire chain of stores named "Target" and their logo is a bulls-eye! And who shops there? I bet a lot of Tea Party people. Do they sell guns? Why the violence from Target stores?
Do you see how ridiculous this is? Rep. Clyburn is now saying that Republicans are "aiding and abetting this kind of terrorism":
Look, I get threats. I really do. You've got to take them seriously.
If you are on the frontlines of debate and you are speaking out, you are going to get threats and you have to take them seriously. But at no time have you ever heard me blame them on anyone other than the crazy people who are doing it.
But the left pressures John Boehner to issue an apology. An apology? For what? What did John Boehner do? Did he hurt someone? This seems like a bit of an overreaction to something there is very, very little actual evidence of.
MSNBC and CNN are acting like it's a near certainty that the right will act out any moment; they are on hot standby. But, I wonder why the media hasn't bothered to look into the recent rash of all the actual violence that's happened lately. Who's doing it? Let's take a look at a few examples:
• Remember the census worker who died? Immediately the left tried to frame that as a crazy right winger killing this guy. Some even blamed me for that. Turns out it was a suicide. No one has apologized to me yet
• The whack job who flew his plane into an IRS building: The media once again tried to paint this guy as a right winger, but reading his manifesto clearly showed this guy was probably a communist
• It was a liberal who bit off the finger of an opponent to Obama's health care reform
• It was SEIU thugs who beat down an African-American health care opponent because he was handing out material
• Remember those broken windows MSNBC was showing? In Denver, the media was quick to report that DNC headquarters were attacked by Republicans. Until it turned out that a Democrat was the one who did it. Then the story lost traction, somehow
• At the G20 in Pittsburgh, far-left protestors started vandalizing; tens of thousands of dollars in damage
• The far-left activist group ELF burned up Hummers and SUVs last summer and we were one of the only ones that reported the left blew up a radio station tower and took a radio station off the air
• A far-left activist group trying to save the whales, has a TV show where they actually attack and damage whaling ships
• Obama's buddies Bill Ayers and Jeff Jones were running around setting off bombs in the 1960s at places like the Pentagon. They were actual unrepentant domestic terrorists
• Amy Bishop shot and killed some of her coworkers. She was a radical Obama supporter
• It was a liberal who brought bombs to the GOP convention in 2008
• I know it's Canada, but look what happened to Ann Coulter in Canada: She had to cancel her speech there because the Canadians were so concerned about her hate speech that they resorted to intimidation and threats of violence to make her cancel it. They surrounded the building with sticks and stones! I'm pretty sure it wasn't conservatives who did that one
• And, I know it's ancient history, but can we all pause for a minute and remember all the way back to the days of President George W. Bush? The press so wanted to show how hated he was they couldn't wait to show pictures like these. Can we please roll the tape now of Nancy Pelosi in 2004 crying because she was worried about another act of violence on President Bush? It doesn't exist? That's weird. It's almost like the left is trumping this up for the politics of it all.
Listen to the language in this article from The Daily Mail: "Americans who suggest Barack Obama should rot in hell are apparently deadly serious."
You got it? They are deadly serious.
"Nearly a quarter of Republicans believe the Democrat president 'may be the Antichrist'"
No, that's James Cameron — I pointed that out yesterday.
"An even greater number compared him to Hitler."
Oh, if they really believe that — gee, what are those crazy Republicans capable of? But wait, there's more. They aren't just regular Republicans, they are religious wackos as well:
"Mr. Obama was jubilant this week after securing his health care reform plan. But his triumph seems only to have inflamed his critics among the evangelical Christians from America's heartland who kept George Bush in power for eight years and have demonized his successor."
His critics are inflamed; they are religious kooks; they're from the heartland and they'll do anything.
Here's the best part:
"And 67 percent of Republicans who responded believed Obama was a socialist, despite his central leanings."
His central leanings? He's a centrist?
Look at how they are rewriting history already.
TIME magazine couldn't even find pictures of the Tea Parties when they did the year in review. They did the same thing with FDR. He was the closest this country ever had to a dictator and progressives have turned him into a hero. His body wasn't even cold yet and Congress passed term limits. Yeah, they loved him. Historians look back on Woodrow Wilson fondly. Why? The Nazis learned propaganda from the Wilson administration.
America, you are being set up.
The losers in the '60s couldn't get a revolution started so they came up with a new way. But Martin Luther King did it the right way: peace. Gandhi did it the right way: peace. We will continue to do it the right way: peace.
God forbid something happens. But if it does, the news story won't be about a single crazy person. No, the narrative is being presented to the American people. The groundwork is being laid: America has a centrist, normal, red, white and blue president and Congress are up against a bunch of crazy, radical, Tea Party, violent freaks ready to attack at any moment.
Barack Obama said he wouldn't use the politics of fear like George W. Bush did. He's just violated his greatest campaign promise and now he's using the politics of fear to rally his base.