Monday, August 16, 2010

It's Elderberry Picking Season In Michigan

Stock Photograph - black elderberries 
on the bush. fotosearch 
- search stock 
photos, pictures, 
images, and photo 
clipartI know who cares about elderberries? Well when you are sick in the middle of winter you will wish you had some. I know a lot about plants in Michigan and around the world. I know about their medicinal values and when and how to collect them. So feel fee to ask me anything about this at any time or on any post. I picked elderberries and now I am slow drying them. They should be ready in a few more days. I let them slow dry so they grow some of the yeasts that are good for your stomach. When you get sick just pull the dried berries out and eat a handful every couple of hours till you feel better. You can make a wine,syrup or put the fresh berries in vodka to drink when you feel sick. I like the vodka cure for obvious reasons. I have a 25 year old frankincense bonsai tree that I use some of the sap to fight off viruses in combination with the elderberries. You can find the elderberry bushes on the sides of rural roads. I know I've seen many on I-75 going up to northern Michigan. The berries are dark black and the leaves are a string of 5 leaves on one leaf. Do yourself a favor this year and pick some elderberries. Or do what I do and buy some bushes for your yard. The birds love them and I love the wildlife in my yard. Have fun looking for the berries. But once you've found them you will find them there every year. Good hunting.

8 comments:

  1. Chris Berries ,Vegetables And Fruit Randazzo's Works For Me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too AL. But there is something nice about eating things most peoploe have never tried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is there a place that I can find them that is not on the side of the road? I would rather not get hit by cars. email me if you can at Stephanies_TreasuresMI@yahoo.com
    Thank you
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started collecting elderberries for this year. I get many in fields and two tracks. I grow many in my own yard though. I dry some for beer and hot tea and put some in vodka for two months or so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you're in the upper up there's not to many busy roads.some areas don't see people very often so if you're in the upper area just go to a area away from people and find you're berries

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you're in the upper up there's not to many busy roads.some areas don't see people very often so if you're in the upper area just go to a area away from people and find you're berries

    ReplyDelete
  7. The birds are getting them quick this year. seriously.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it clean and nice. Thank you for taking the time to post you thought. It means a lot to me that you do this.